Friday, October 10, 2008

Away from Home School

Thomas was heading out to the hunting lease at around 6:30 this morning. For some reason, I thought, lets go with him. I grabbed the boys some jeans, boots, and jackets. Quickly loaded a backpack with our homeschool lessons for the day, and grabbed a jug of water and some fruit bars for the boys for breakfast. We loaded the boys in the car in their pj's and were on the road to dickens by 7:00.

The boys had so much fun. I bet Nathan learned more today then he has all week put together. He climbed up on the deer blind and Thomas taught him how to roof and lay shingles. We learned how to tell the difference between a turkey vulture and a hawk by looking at the markings on the underside of its wings. We saw all kinds of bugs: a dung beetle, katydid, trantula wasp (these are very scary looking), caterpillars, grasshoppers, and the coolest walking sticks. Thomas found the walking sticks and put them on the boys' hats. They crawled down and hung upside down from the bills of their hats, right in front of their faces. Then we put them in the tree and talked about how they protect themselves from predators by disguising themselves as sticks on the tree. We also got to see a white owl. This led to a discussion about why a noctural animal would be flying around during the day.

There was also a whole lot of rock throwing going on as well.

We did manage to get a lot of reading done in the truck. Nathan scored a 100 on his spelling test. But, I promise you, if you ask Nathan what he learned today, his first answer would not be something that came from a book. I am so blessed to be able to teach my children at home.

I have some pictures, but they are on my phone, and I'm not sure how to get them onto my computer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya'll had lots of fun!